Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Logan's Run

I just watched the 1976 classic Logan's Run. I have to say, this movie is hilarious in certain ways. It is basically just an old-school dystopian sci-fi story about the evils of collectivism and all, but it has its charm. Especially noteworthy is Michael York, who is hilarious in his sheer lameness. I admit I am now sort of interested in the book and its sequels, though.

I'd like to point out, though, one weird thing I noticed, in a nitpicky sci-fi fashion. I am not sure of how much time has passed between the supposed end of society and when the story takes place, but I noticed that the people from the city (our main characters) had no problems understanding the old man from outside of the city. I would think that if a significant amount of time had passed since the city had been isolated and the story's setting, that the language would have changed like crazy. Also, no black people in the city? I call dystopian racism.

No comments: