Saturday, October 9, 2010

Happy Birthday, John

I guess I am a little late, but Google told me that today (yesterday now) is (was) John Lennon's birthday, so I might as well put up a little post. A very little post. He wasn't really even my favorite Beatle, but he was pretty darn good, you have to admit. So the question on everyone's mind must be what is my favorite song of his. Maybe it's weird, but it's "Oh, Yoko." He's usually so angry or depressed, but when he's talking about Yoko he's just so happy, and it's so upbeat and simple that I can't help liking it. Maybe it's because I've got my own little Yoko. On a sort of related note, her name is actually 洋子, which should be transliterated Youko or Yooko, because it has a long vowel, so when he sings, "Oh, Yo-o-ko," it is actually the right pronunciation.

Do you have a favorite Lennon song?

4 comments:

kilgore said...

Depending on your criteria, there are a few. Counting Beatles songs for which he is solely credited as songwriter (according to this wikipedia list), Come Together, Strawberry Fields Forever, Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite and Nowhere Man are notable. Solo Lennon or Lennon/Yoko would be Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy), most notably the Richard Dreyfuss performance in Mr. Holland's Opus.

WakeUpAndLegalizeIt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WakeUpAndLegalizeIt said...

R.I.P. John Lennon, your music continues to inspire us all. Nice blog Iwakan, very interesting.

the j link said...

Hmmm... This vastly superior JL cranked out enough masterful material that choosing one, two, five, ten "favorites" would exclude too many. Anything related to The Ono wouldn't be on my lists, but hey, you have an A+ reason for Yoko~ appreciation.

I was going to throw in "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" (no, I clearly don't recall proper capitalization rules) as a stupidly-catchy possibility, but it turns out that's a Sir Paul production. oops. Ergo, I vote for not "Imagine".