Thursday, January 6, 2011

Eric

I should have posted something earlier, but I didn't. I don't know what else there is to say about Eric, but here is a fitting song from an album we both liked. Maybe it's a little obvious, especially given the first lines of the song. It's weird because neither of us had this music during college and we both came upon it afterwords, so it's just another one of those things that we only got to share indirectly.

I was in Japan when Eric died, which was sort of worse. Japan was a thing we both got to experience for a while, but never together and I had hoped we would get to some day. He loved talking about what he did when he was studying in Tokyo and I think it was some of his best times. He loved going to Coco Ichibanya Curry, so I went there with Mie as a sort of tribute to him. I never really understood why he liked it so much, since it's kind of just a chain restaurant and curry is such an easy thing to make. So I had level 4 hotness curry because I think that's what he recommended. It was pretty good. Later I walked around looking for a vending machine that sold Boss coffee because he liked to talk about that, too. Well, I guess that is my tribute to Eric.

He was a friend of mine.

Sorry I couldn't find the Bob version.

3 comments:

Sarah Mac said...

Jeff, I'm sorry - I don't know what to say, I can't imagine how you get through something like this. We're all thinking of you and Eric's family. Let us know if you need anything.

PopsArmstrong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PopsArmstrong said...

Wow, Jeff, what a touching tribute to your friend. Very heart-felt and uniquely Jeff-like. The songs are perfect. I got a lump in my throat. We met Eric and his mother briefly, but didn't know him well. I know he meant a lot to you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

(I removed the earlier post because I hadn't played the videos yet, and I wanted to edit my earlier comments.)