Sunday, January 6, 2008

Baroque Cycle

I wanted to mention that while on vacation I got away from reading it, but I started again, and it is pretty great. I am talking about Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, specifically, Quicksilver. It deals with the scientific revolution, and people like Newton and Hooke are characters. It's interesting to see how people can make guesses about the world that can seem so stupid because they are clearly wrong but make perfect sense given what they can observe and what they know, which isn't very much. It makes you think how you can actually learn all the stuff they teach in science class if you don't have other people's work to just read. I'm not that far into it yet, but so far it is great, like I said. The only complaint I really have is that it's not as good as Cryptonomicon yet because it doesn't ramble into explanations as much, but focuses a lot on the politics of the day instead of the science. I suppose that's just my preference, but I'd like to get better explanations of what the characters are trying to learn. Shucks.

2 comments:

Marisa said...

hey boo. why arent you online ever?

Hot Topologic said...

Sorry, Marmot. I'll try to get online for longer tomorrow morning.