Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Some Movies

I watched a couple more movies and figured that everyone would want to hear what I thought.

The Darjeeling Limited
- I watche this after recently re-watching The Royal Tenenbaums. I think Wes Anderson keeps trying to make the same movie but changing the setting, and it keeps getting worse. Tenenbaums is not nearly as good as I remember it being, mostly just being aimlessly depressing, in addition to wasting Bill Murray, who is basically as awesome as a person can get. The Darjeeling limited basically does nothing new, but at least continues the Anderson tradition of having good music. Unfortunately, Murray has an even smaller part in this movie, barely appearing at all. Instead, we mostly get to see Owen Wilson work through a script that could most optimistically called heavy handed in his trademark irritating fashion. But in this movie, his stupid messed up nose actually fits the plot!

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
- This movie isn't good, really, but it is at least sort of neat looking. It's fun pretty much throughout despite being pretty horribly miscast. Seriously, Jude Law?

Juno - Apparently people like this movie. I see why, but at the same time, I see that they are tasteless for liking it. This is one of those movies where I think you are supposed to want to be as cool and clever as the main character, but you don't actually like them, or really anyone else in the movie. Also the plot is a load of crap, but at least you can pick up a lot of stupid things to say to your friends like "honest to blog" and "wizard." Seriously a failure on so many levels that it will no doubt win an oscar.

4 comments:

Marisa said...

Now, don't be jealous because others are talented and making millions of dollars....p.s. I think you don't like Juno because it has been so popular--not because you find fault with the plot!!!

Potomac Rubella said...

I think one of the big points of Wes Anderson's movies is the imagery of them. The Limit, while definitely not being as good as some of the other movies doesn't really stray away from the point having "witty" dialogue with nice things to look at.

Dan Armstrong said...

I'll concede a point to Ris: Yes, when a movie becomes extremely popular, especially one hailed for being "smart," "fresh" or "new," the expectations created for it are often hard to overcome. But besides that, Jeff's is one of the most coherent and accurate reviews of Juno I have heard/read. I agree 100 percent.

Hot Topologic said...

In response to these comments:

Ris, you are great, but wrong.

Eric, when you "The Limit," do you mean "The Darjeeling Limited," or is there some other movie I should see?

Dan, spot on.