Friday, November 16, 2007

Awesome Stuff

I haven't done anything cool lately, so here are some pictures of stuff I've eaten.



That's Asahi Ajiwai, which I think means something like savoring, but I am not going to look up right now. It's a seasonal beer and not even as good as Super Dry.



There's a snack I bought that is made to imitate the taste and shape of takoyaki, another Japanese snack that is basically octopus balls. Delicious



And there's the actual snack itself, which was pretty good.



Mmm, squid and mayonnaise flavored cracker thing.



This is katsu kare, or curry rice with a pork cutlet on it. It's incredibly good even if I make it incorrectly using store-bought cutlets.



I didn't actually eat this. It's a hot plate I got for pretty cheap, mostly so as to make yakiniku, literally just cooked meat, but actually also using vegetables.



This is tare, a delicious sauce that is used with yakiniku. I found the bottle's claim of spiciness unsubstantiated.



Nothing goes better with cooked meat than a big ol' bottle of Japan's most popular beer.



And that is the actual squid that I cooked on the hot plate. Incidentally, it turns out that squid are essentially just rubbery tubes filled with brown goo.

2 comments:

Potomac Rubella said...

I can't believe you bought Super Dry to drink with your dinner. That's almost blasphemous when you have Ichiban at your disposal. What happened to you? You used to be cool.

Hot Topologic said...

First off, "Super Dry" complements 焼き肉 better than Ichiban does, and, furthermore, the big bottles are only available in "Super Dry" and Kirin Lager, which isn't nearly as good as Ichiban. At least around here that's all they have.

Believe me, I would love it if I could save some money on Ichiban by buying it in big bottles.

Incidentally, there should be a couple new beer pictures soon.