Monday, December 10, 2007

Winter Food

It's almost Christmas. Sort of, but that is what I am teaching now, anyway. Basically it means memorizing how to say mistletoe and reindeer in Japanese (yadorigi and tonakai), but it's fun, and who doesn't like getting Christmas cards. That reminds me, mad props to mom for sending me Christmas stuff. There is a package which should be put in the mail tomorrow, but getting to the post office here is often a pain.

Here's one awesome thing ma sent me:

Gingerbread Peeps! They are actually gingerbread flavored, too. Peeps are slowly becoming candy appropriate for any holiday. People often talk about how my generation grew up with the internet, and that this shapes our outlook like no other generation's before, but I think it is Peeps. We grew up with these, too. And they are so much better than Facebook it is almost ridiculous. She also sent some other Christmas-themed Peeps, but I don't feel like photographing them, and I already ate one of the boxes, anyway.

Human shaped food is surreal.

The cup is filled with wheat (barley? the character can be either) tea. I found a bag containing something like 54 jumbo sized bags for super cheap, so I got it for these cold nights. It is generally below freezing in my house during the night. The important thing, though, is that it has some sort of incredibly happy old guy on the bag, so I can only assume it has some sort of magical health effects. I hope so, anyway, because I've been drinking like ten cups of it a day, which works out nicely because the bags are huge and can be used to make multiple pots of tea before losing flavor. Crazy.

It's not all candy here, though sometimes I am given enough snacks with tea/coffee to constitute a fourth meal. Here's some soup and rice I made which is pretty boring, but check out the little fish. Neat. Oh, yeah, I went fishing today with a special ed student and it was sweet. I caught one. Awesome.

Maybe it is weird that this is enough to excite me now. This is bread. Just plain white bread, uncut. I was so happy to find bread that wasn't only 4-6 slices of bread cut to be about 1.5-2 times the size of normal sandwich bread. You wouldn't think you would miss sandwiches, but there you go.

Here's an odd one. It seems to be fake champagne (still with .02% alcohol) marketed to kids for Christmas. I chose the keroppi one over the hello kitty or pokemon because I have a thing for frogs and I don't know all the newfangled pokemon. It's pretty good. I'm still confused as to it's purpose. As a side note, I think kero, kero is the sound that frogs make here.

Behold this. Japan is so far ahead of us in flavor technology, it is incredible. That bag has "beekoneggu" written on it, for those who can't read backwards katkana. Yes, they are bacon and egg flavored chips. And they actually taste like it, too, which is awesome. The can is a new seasonal brew from sapporo which is supposed to be white wine-like beer made with hops from New Zealand or something. It was darn good, but apparently the convenience store has no faith in it, because they are selling it with the cheap beers. Joke's on them!

Japan is so crazy. That's it for now.

5 comments:

Marisa said...

I can't wait to eat some Winter Food with you!!!! muah.

Potomac Rubella said...

Those are some excellent finds. When I think about people food, I normally going with Soylent Green, ftw. Also, mad props on finding normal bread. We checked bakeries all the time but never found anything more than the crust (which was actually like 1 yen for 1 pound).

Marisa said...

contact me before wed my time.....

Unknown said...

Kero kero,

as in Keroro Gunso, known in the US of Awesome
as Commander Frog. Also, have you had that caffeine beer yet?

--himself

Hot Topologic said...

I have not seen any caffeine beer here, so no. I totally would buy it with my last hundred yen piece, though, if I did.