Friday, December 11, 2009

Star Trek

I wrote that I would get back to talking about Star Trek, so I'll put together a few disorganized thoughts here.

The cast was pretty good all around, and it was pretty cool how they managed to find people who looked something like their respective predecessors. New Spock in particular looked similar. New Sulu is the wrong ethnicity, I guess, but Old Sulu came to our school and talked about how the name Sulu was chosen to represent Asia without being a particular national name, so that's no thing.

Sulu got to swordfight and that was awesome. We never got enough of that. New Chekov was amusing, from not being able to say v's to running down to the transporter room yelling "I can do that!"New Kirk was pretty much exactly what a young Kirk should be, punching people, getting into trouble and in general being ridiculous.

McCoy was my favorite character, so I was glad that the new guy did a good job and they wrote what little he was in pretty much perfectly in keeping with the character. It was nice how they explained without explaining really why his nickname is Bones.

New Spock was alright, but I didn't like the fact that he is with New Uhura. It really doesn't make any sense, but both of them were good. Old Spock was nice, but where is old Kirk, the SHAT, when you need him?

The only one I wasn't a fan of was Scotty. He was supposed to be a comic character, I guess, but he and that little alien dude with him were just kind of annoying. The villain was also kind of so-so and I kept thinking of him as the Hulk the whole time.

The story was alright overall, even if it involved flying spaceships through black holes into alternate universes.

Captain Pike - good reference, as was the brain worm thing, which I took to be an homage to Star Trek II. Anyway, I guess that's enough.

3 comments:

kilgore said...

The Shat is too busy performing spoken word renderings of Sarah Palin's writings.

Hot Topologic said...

Yeah, he basically pwned her.

PopsArmstrong said...

I agree with your assessment. Especially the New Spock/Uhuru thing. Totally ridiculous, out of character, and there were never any references to it in the old series. Of course it's a different time-line, but still....