Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Snack Food and then later some stuff about Bruce Springsteen

One of the best things about work in Japan is someone is always giving you food. It's weird. Each morning somebody leaves a cup of tea for me to drink on my desk. I'm pretty sure I know who it is, but not entirely. She usually comes around once or twice a day and gives everyone in the office some kind of elaborate Japanese snack. When I'm at schools, someone will always give me coffee or tea, generally without asking if I want anything or not. When they do ask, I generally politely refuse, but that's usually met with them just giving me the stuff anyway. Also, there is usually candy or something like that, and if I stay till around 5:00 (I can go home at 4:15 according to my contract, and usually even earlier if I so chose because the schools realize I am not doing anything and don't mind), everyone takes a break, which means someone will again bring me unprompted coffee, and other teachers will try to coerce me into eating whatever snacks they have for this break time. I'm not hard to coerce or anything, but I try to be polite.

I keep seeing things about Bruce Springsteen online, not even advertisements, but news stories, and it seems to me like once you get famous enough, you don't have to work at it any more because everything you do becomes news and therefore promoted for you. I don't mind seeing all this stuff about the Boss; I think he's alright, and it makes for a good break from reading important news. I don't like his stupid little soulpatch, though, or his tendency to wear vests.

No comments: