Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Short Story

I just finished my weekly local English conversation class, which this time featured heavily me running a sort of modified test for the Stroop effect. I actually want to repeat the test in an experiment to see if doing it in a second language has an effect, as well as to see if running the test in kanji or kana changes the result. So far there seems to be some effect, but my sample size is too small, etc. So I went to the store to pay a bill and to buy a beer for a reward, since I was teaching forever today it seemed. I ran into one of my favorite little second graders, who immediately ran up to me for a hug, and then came in the store with me and gave me advice on how he likes chu-hi better than beer, and which snack is delicious. Life here is at times hilarious.

4 comments:

Sarah Mac said...

Do second graders normally drink beer in Japan?

kilgore said...

Yes, I had that same thought. And what is chu-hi?

Hot Topologic said...

The drinking age isn't strictly enforced, but I think this was just a case of his dad letting him taste some beer. His advice was good though, so who knows?

Chu-hi (pronounced chew high) is a drink that mostly young women and old men drink. It comes in various fruit flavors and generally resembles some kind of alcoholic sprite, around 4-7% abv, depending on the type. I don't usually drink it because it is too sweet.

PopsArmstrong said...

I've tried the Stroop effect, (without know that's what it's called) both as a subject and as an investigator at various times in the past. I'm always amazed at how difficult it is.