Thursday, March 12, 2009

Super

John seems to have illogically linked to my blog once again, so here's my take on Six Ways. I am blessed with having an exceptionally poor memory for events of my own life while being able to retain Chinese characters and other things I read well, so take this as you will, but you have been warned.

We used to hang out and play ska music or some approximation of it in The Shed before it was once again returned to its original purpose of holding tools and soccer balls. The lineup changed a bit, but as I recall, there was a front man, sometimes a guitar player, a bad drummer who was really a bad trumpet player, two trombone players, a bassist, and a saxophoner (this should be the word). Also Dirty Bill used to hang around and complain about how terrible we were, so I guess you could count him, or Krev, maybe?

I'm pretty sure we only ever played "Sell Out," and maybe one other RBF cover, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones' "The Rascal King," and probably some other ska song that we had managed to get sheet music or tabs or something for. We had one jam called "Underwater somethingorother." The word "somethingorother" was not part of the title, but I can't remember what the exact title was. That pretty much just amounted to one riff from the horns and a lot of some effect on the guitar. I also recall John crooning the line, "Corned beef makes me feel fine in the morning," for another original composition, but I have no other memory of that one.

I would upload a picture of us in action at one of the two (?) things we ever played for, but I don't have any. Maybe someone can send one in?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I could have hopped on the magic Six Ways bus. But then I probably would have fallen for the proverbial front man--somethingorother results for sure.

the j link said...

PS - you've been linked again. the riz, too. I think I'm unintentionally forcing you to post every day by linking constantly. mwa ha ha ha.

also, the best thing the front man ever did was sub other lyrics for "and mouths to feed".

Hot Topologic said...

It was kind of a short bus.

Hot Topologic said...

Must...flex...posting...muscle...