Saturday, October 20, 2007

Pictures and Such

Sorry I haven't updated in a bit. It's cold here sometimes and that makes it difficult to type, if that's an excuse. Anyway, yesterday, I was intending to go up to the famous Izumo Taisha shrine, but I ended up going to Hinomisaki, 日御崎, if I recall the kanji correctly. Anyway, it's an area basically between the western edge of Lake Shinji and the Sea of Japan. There's a lighthouse and another pretty huge shrine, both of which I have pictures of, but I haven't sent them to myself yet. So, instead, have some pictures of food that I have eaten lately, etc.



This is a can of the hilariously named Hi-Boy brand Chu-Hi. It was plum flavored, which was a mistake, I think.



Here's a packet of weird peanut things that came with a can of Suntory Kin-Mugi. They were alright.



Here's a can of Kirin Sparkling Hop, which is a new kind of beer. It has a wonderful aroma, but a so-so taste. Mad props on the can, though, because I like green.



Here are a couple books that my mom sent me, by the wonderful Neal Stephenson. I haven't started them yet because I've just started another of the books she sent me, Clans of the Alphane Moon by Philip K. Dick. Let me just say that Philip K. Dick is probably the awesomest science fiction writer there has ever been. Don't get me wrong, Asimov is hilarious brilliant and Clarke is just plain awesome if you like actual SCIENCE fiction (see some previous post), but Dick is just plain crazy and comes up with the most bizarre ideas for stories. This particular book focuses on a moon that used to be a mental hospital before it got cut off during a war, so now it is controlled by clans of people divided by their various mental defects.

If you aren't familiar with his work, you are wrong, you actually are. He's the guy who wrote the stories off which the awesome Total Recall and the good but highly overrated Blade Runner are based. He's also the guy who basically started the genre of alternate histories with the mind-blowingly cool The Man in the High Castle. If you like science fiction at all, read that one.

My wonderful ma also sent me some Halloween-themed Peeps, which are excellent. Ok, I've got stuff to do right now, so that is all. Feel the historicity, people.

1 comment:

Potomac Rubella said...

I wish I got peanuts with my booze, all I get are hangovers.