Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Cryptonomicon

I am completely addicted to this book. I should probably be studying kanji, but I don't currently have any cards to make flash cards with. Instead I am frantically reading this book because it is so excellent, although I suspect it would not appeal so much to people who, unlike me, are not math nerds.
The book is, at heart, about cryptoanalysis, which is kind of a neat subject for a math guy. One of the great things about the book is that the author, Neal Stephenson, clearly knows what he is talking about in terms of computers and number theory, specifically, and isn't afraid to include full-blown proofs of the frequency of a chain coming off a bicycle. Another great thing is his use of sometimes absurd metaphorical language and the way his different narrators all have distinct voices. Like I said, it is a fascinating read.
Now what to have for dinner tonight?

No comments: