Thursday, August 2, 2007

Typhoons and File Names

A couple of thoughts unrelated to the last post.

Last night I survived my first typhoon. The Japanese word is taifuu, meaning "standing wind," roughly. Probably it didn't make the news in America, as it was pretty small and American news outlets don't realize there is a world outside Paris Hilton, but it was the top story here. I guess it was pretty small, but I don't really know. The newscasters were all flipping out (as much as they ever do), especially on the local Shimane station (it also seems to cover neighboring Tottori prefecture).
Basically there was a lot of rain and wind, but I don't think there was any real damage to anything. I just closed the windows to keep things from getting wet and watched a baseball game. If you were wondering, it was a nailbiter, with the Hanshin Tigers pulling out a late 6-5 victory over the Yakult Sparrows. Seriously, it was pretty exciting. Yakult (a company that makes yogurt drinks, I think) was ahead 4-3 for a while, but Hanshin (another company, the team is based in Nishinomiya in Hyogo prefecture) had a huge inning and pulled ahead 6-4. In the ninth inning, Yakult got some guys on and even scored a run, so it was 6-5. With two outs, they had men on second and third, and then something happened I have never seen before.
The batter swung and missed for the third strike, but the ball got past the catcher, so he started barrelling down to first, while the guy on third ran home. The runner from third actually made it home, and for a second they flashed 6-6, but then the catcher threw the batter out at first, so it stayed 6-5 and Hanshin was victorious. Pretty neat stuff.

The other thing I wanted to address briefly was that on Japanese computers, My Documents is called mai dokyumento and My Computer is called mai konpyuuta I wonder why they didn't just use Japanese?

No comments: