Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Tokyo Orientation part 3

Tuesday was the last day of orientation, and the most intensive. The whole day was pretty much spent in sessions about specific aspects of being a JET. We had our choice of many different sessions. I went to one about driving in Japan, as I've been told I need to buy a car to get to all of the distant schools I'm assigned to. Mostly they just talked about all the bad things that can happen if you break the laws, but they had a sheet about estimated costs of driving, which was nice. I did learn that you have to make a complete stop at all crossroads and look both ways before crossing, and that people do indeed get pulled over for not looking thoroughly enough. So, there's that.
I also went to a couple sessions on elementary JETs. One of them was particularly nice, as it was run as if it were an elementary class. We sang songs and played games. It was hilarious, and probably the most useful session of the whole shebang. A nice Japanese lady from Kyoto ran it, and it sounded to me as if she was say "Kyot" which seems like a very weird pronunciation for Japanese. I've never met anyone else from Kyoto, so maybe this is a regional thing. I didn't ask, though, so I guess I will never know.
That night I met up with my red-haired friend who was just departing Fukushima-ken for home via Tokyo. Fukushima is a rather large prefecture north of Tokyo. He was sort of sad to leave his own tiny village of Hirata, but also happy to be going home. We mostly just walked around Shinjuku, as he was too tired to go anywhere, having lugged hundreds of pounds of luggage half a mile or so to his hotel from the train station. We went to some kind of bizarre juice bar with tiny chairs. I had some melon-yogurt drink which was ok, but wasn't quite like I expected. Strange. We watched a little Japanese tv, something that involved tv personalities competing with people who have unusual skills. For instance, two tv personalities (this is a job here) tried to eat these little tubes of frozen something or other before a little kid could do something like 100 backflips. Or they had to make and eat instant yakisoba (a noodle thing) before a speed eater could eat 50 custard things. The tv personalities almost always lost. If you have watched any Japanese tv, this show should not surprise you in the slightest. It is important to note that shows such as this one take up probably half of the Japanese broadcast day. The rest is news, baseball, and renzoku dorama (serials) which range from the dramatic to the absurd. After the tv, I went back to my hotel and went to bed. I'm pretty sure I annoyed my roommates by coming in and taking a shower at around midnight while they were trying to sleep, but whatever. I was the one who needed to get up at 6:00 the next morning.

No comments: